Fishers Arts Council
Call Out for Metalsmithing Artists
Deadline to Submit: August 23, 2019 3:00PM Eastern
Hyatt Place | Hyatt House at The Yard in Fishers, Indiana seeks a metal artist to design, fabricate, and install a metal wall sculpture. The sculpture should be an abstract interpretation indicative of the Fishers railroad history, preferably using materials that are/emulate railroad spikes. The sculpture will be located behind the front desk of the hotel, mounted onto the wall. The wall sculpture needs to look intentional and provide an interesting composition that flows with the design of the hotel.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: By 3:00PM EST on Friday, August 23, 2019
ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to submit for this opportunity, artists must:
· Be able to meet all of the project requirements (see below)
· Be age 18 or over
· Be willing to meet all contractual obligations and adhere to a budget and timeline
· Carry liability insurance for the duration of the design, fabrication, and installation process.
THIS PROJECT WILL REQUIRE:
· A metal wall sculpture design that is between 22’-23’6” long (See Addendums A and B)
· No part of the sculpture can protrude more than 4” from the wall, unless that section of the design is placed higher than 6’8” from the floor
· No sharp points are to stick directly out from the wall to avoid employee injury
· Collaboration with Hyatt Place | Hyatt House and Fishers Arts Council to confirm a design that meets the needs and the design of the hotel
· Communication with the on-site General Contractor regarding the appropriate hardware required to install the sculpture, to ensure the hardware reaches the layer of plywood blocking that has been installed behind this wall to provide sufficient support
· Ability to install within one to two days (hotel construction schedule permitting)
This project will carry a commission fee of $8,000 for design, fabrication, and installation of the artwork, including all material costs, transportation costs, installation hardware and materials, and any other costs related to completing the project. This fee is to cover all of the artists’ compensation and anticipated expenses. Payment will be made in two installments: Half will be paid to the artist at the first meeting between the artist and the design approval team from Hyatt Place and Fishers Arts Council, with the remaining half to be paid upon completion and approval of the installation of the project.
Artists must submit their qualifications by 3:00PM EST on Friday August 23, 2019. Representatives from Fishers Arts Council and area arts groups will review submitted qualifications and select up to three finalists to interview further.
Note: While this is the intended selection process, in the event of an insufficient number of qualified applicants, Hyatt Place | Hyatt House reserves the right to invite an artist to propose, or to directly select an artist and also reserves the right to cancel the opportunity entirely at any point and for any reason.
SELECTION CRITERIA: Finalists will be selected based upon the following criteria:
Technical Ability: Artist’s submission indicates professionalism, skill with materials and techniques, and indicates the capacity to meet the requirements of this project
Artistic Quality: Artist’s past work is appropriate to its context, innovative, creative, and stylistically distinctive
This timeline represents the project as it now appears. Changes may be necessary as the project progresses:
· Release Request for Qualifications: August 6, 2019
· Deadline for qualification submissions: 3:00PM EST on Friday August 23, 2019
· Notification of Status: on/by Friday, September 13, 2019
· Design Approval: on/by Friday, September 27, 2019 or earlier
· Fabrication: September 28-October 13, 2019
· Installation Period: October 14-30, 2019 [estimated 1-2 days for install during this period]
· Unveiling: Early November 2019
HOW TO APPLY: Artists must submit the following information to FishersArtsCouncil@gmail.com (please note: materials will not be returned).
1. Applicant information: Please include the following information in your cover letter:
· Artist name
· Full mailing address
· Phone number
· Email address
· Website (if applicable)
2. Cover Letter: In addition to the above contact information, please include:
· A statement about your interest in this project
· A high-level vision for your project’s design
· Any personal or professional connection you have to Hyatt Hotels/The Yard at Fishers District and how that connection influences your interest in this project.
· Please also include a statement about how your previous work experience qualifies you for this opportunity.
3. Examples of previous artwork: Submit two to ten digital images in .jpg or .pdf format of past work. Please limit the file size of each image to 2MB or less. If possible, include images of at least one previous project that is appropriate to the conditions of this project.
4. Image information: Provide the following information about each submitted project: title, date completed, client/neighborhood/site name, total artwork budget, and a brief (one to two sentences) description of the project or piece at is relates to this project. Include a directory of which image titles you have submitted are associated with each project (ex: for an artist named Jones: PROJECT A: Images Jones 1, Jones 2, Jones 3; PROJECT B: Jones 4, Jones 5). Submit this sheet in .doc, .docx or .pdf format.
DELIVERY OF SUBMISSIONS: Submissions may be emailed to FishersArtsCouncil@gmail.com, shared via Dropbox, or mailed to Fishers Arts Council.
Mailed or delivered submissions must be loaded on a single USB drive. CDs, DVDs, or printed items cannot be accepted. USB drives must arrive at Fishers City Hall (to be placed in the Fishers Arts Council mailbox) no later than 3:00PM EST on Friday, August 23, 2019. A Dropbox share request must be time-stamped by 3:00PM EST on Friday, August 23, 2019 – and all items must be included in the shared folder by that time. Any item that is time-stamped as being uploaded after 3:00PM will be disqualified from consideration.
The Delivery Address is:
ATTN: Tom Rich Fishers Arts Council
1 Municipal Drive Fishers, IN 46038
Tom Rich, Vice President of Fishers Arts Council: FishersArtsCouncil@gmail.com