ARTIST CALL OUT: ART DEMONSTRATION AND SALES OPPORTUNITY DURING YEAR-END EVENTS
Updated: Sep 21, 2021
Deadline to Submit: October 8, 2021 3:00PM Eastern
Fishers Arts Council is bringing back our Small Business Saturday and Winter Wonderland events again, thanks to a grant from the Indiana Arts Commission and the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency along with our newest supporter - The Penrod Society. The purpose of these events is to provide artistic demonstrations to the public to educate and encourage folks to create their own art. By showcasing the Artists' talents while they demonstrate/perform their skills, we can inspire community members to create their own art and experiment in various mediums. We are looking for Artists/Artisans who work in all mediums and genres, including, but not limited to, woodworking, glassblowing, printmaking, quilting, weaving, stained glass, painting in various mediums, drawing, pottery/ceramics, metalsmith/jewelry, poetry, small-scale sculpting, and especially those who focus on heritage arts. The most important aspect is that the artist’s medium must be able to be demonstrated, in some fashion, while indoors at an 8’ table (or in the same relative space).
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: By 3:00PM EST on Friday, October 8, 2021
ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to submit for this opportunity, artists must:
· Be able to meet all of the project requirements (see below)
· Be age 16 or over
· Be willing to meet all contractual obligations
· Be willing follow Fishers Arts Council's COVID-19 guidelines during the entire event
THIS PROJECT WILL REQUIRE:
· Artist’s medium must be able to be demonstrated live at Fishers City Hall in the space provided
· Artist must interact, engage, and communicate clearly with the patrons while demonstrating
· Artist must create a one-page sheet explaining their craft and how they create for those who cannot hear (printing will be provided by Fishers Arts Council)
· The medium should be able to be tactile (in some way) for those who have a visual impairment
Artists will be permitted to sell their work during the event, however the focus must be on demonstration and interaction with the public. Each artist will be paid $100 for their demonstration, which equates to $20 per hour for five (5) hours during the event. Fishers Arts Council shall take no commission for any work sold during these specific events.
COVID-19 ADJUSTMENT PLAN:
Should Fishers City Hall not permit the use of their location due to COVID-19, this event will move to a virtual format. Artists will be provided with Pro Zoom accounts for the event, their online time will be shorter than the posted event time, and volunteers will be assigned to each artist’s Zoom meeting to assist in monitoring the attendees. Artists will still be compensated the same amount as if the event were live, as they will still be demonstrating their crafts and interacting with those who join their meetings. Artists will need to manage a separate method for selling their items; FAC can provide suggestions and support, as well as a landing page for all artist store links. Depending on COVID numbers in Fishers at the time of the events, artists and patrons will be asked to wear masks and social distance as much as possible. VIRTUAL AND IN-PERSON HYBRID EVENT: To make these events accessible to those who may not be able to attend in person, there will be a virtual component in addition to the in-person event. Artists must make note in your application if you are able to be virtual, in-person, or can do either. Virtual artists will be compensated the same as in-person artists, but will be required for less time.
Artists must submit their qualifications by 3:00PM EST on Friday, October 8, 2021. Representatives from Fishers Arts Council will review submitted qualifications and select up to 17 artists/artisans per event.
Note: While this is the intended selection process, in an effort to provide the most diverse array of artistic mediums for the public to experience, Fishers Arts Council reserves the right to invite an artist to apply, should their medium be lacking representation from the current applicants.
SELECTION CRITERIA: Artists/Artisans will be selected based upon the following criteria:
Technical Ability: Artist’s history of work indicates professionalism, skill with materials and techniques, and indicates the capacity to meet the requirements of this event
Artistic Quality: Artist’s past work is appropriate to its medium, represents it well, and shows personal creativity
· Quality of proposal submitted
· Demonstrated capability for proposal to be inclusive
· Clear understanding of requirements to work while engaging and interacting
· Demonstrated capability for proposal to be engaging/interactive
· Fishers residents and Heritage Arts artists receive priority (if necessary)
This timeline represents the project as it now appears. Changes may be necessary as the project progresses:
· Release Request for Qualifications: September 21, 2021
· Deadline for Submissions: 3:00PM EST on Friday, October 8, 2021
· Notification of Selection: on/by Friday, October 15, 2021
· Submission of ADA Materials: on/by Monday, October 25, 2021
· Event Dates/Times: November 27, 2021 1pm-6pm; December 4, 2021 3pm-8pm
HOW TO APPLY: Artists must submit the following information to info@FishersArtsCouncil.org or via our online application:
1. Applicant information: Please include the following information in your cover letter:
· Artist name
· Full mailing address
· Phone number
· Email address
· Website/Social Media Link (if applicable)
2. Cover Letter: In addition to the above contact information, please include:
· A short statement about your interest in this event
· A synopsis of what you will demonstrate at the event
· How you will address the ADA requirements for your demonstration
· A short statement about how your past experiences qualify you for this opportunity
· Availability for the events:
- November 27, 2021 1pm-6pm arriving at 12pm for prep
- December 4, 2021 3pm-8pm, arriving at 2pm for prep
- Whether you are able to attend in-person or virtually
3. Examples of previous artwork: Submit two to five digital images in .jpg or .pdf format of past work. Please limit the file size of each image to 2MB or less. If possible, include images/files of at least one previous project that is appropriate to the conditions of these events. (Do not embed images in your email.)
4. Image/File information: Provide the following information about each submitted project: title, date completed, and a brief (one to two sentences) description of the project or piece at is relates to this event. Submit this sheet in .doc, .docx or .pdf format.
DELIVERY OF SUBMISSIONS: Submissions may be emailed to info@FishersArtsCouncil.org, shared via Dropbox/Google Drive, uploaded via our online application, or mailed to Fishers Arts Council.
Mailed submissions must be loaded on a single USB drive. CDs, DVDs, or printed items cannot be accepted. Mailed items must arrive no later than 3:00PM EST on Friday, October 8, 2021. A Dropbox/Google Drive share request must be time-stamped by 3:00PM EST on Friday, October 8, 2021 – and all items must be included in the shared folder by that time. Any item that is time-stamped as being uploaded after 3:00PM will be disqualified from consideration.
The Mailing Address is:
ATTN: Year-End Events Fishers Arts Council
11650 Olio Road
Suite 1000-241 Fishers, IN 46037
Fishers Arts Council via email at info@FishersArtsCouncil.org
These events are made possible by the Indiana Arts Commission and the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency.